Melissa and I continued our tradition of making Orange Chicken today, and we so perfected the recipe that we thought we would share it with you. So, tada!
Orange Chicken (from recipezaar.com, but pretty much our own take on it)
8 chicken breasts (~4 oz. each)
3 teaspoons salt
pepper (as desired)
4 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup corn starch
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed hot red chili peppers
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Ingredients for Orange Sauce:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vinegar
zest of 2 oranges
juice of 1 orange
1. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
2. Stir in eggs, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons oil, and mix well.
3. In a larger bowl, stir cornstarch and flour together.
4. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
5. Place chicken pieces on greased cookie sheets, so that pieces are not touching.
6. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes (until blonde).
(mix together Orange Sauce while the chicken is baking)
7. Set chicken aside and let cool (separating chicken pieces if necessary).
8. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok (or large saucepan).
9. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant.
10. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
11. Add rice vinegar and stir.
12. Add orange sauce and bring to a boil.
13. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
14. Stir water into 3 tablespoons cornstarch until smooth and and to chicken.
15. Heat until sauce is thickened.
16. Stir in sesame oil.
17. Serve over rice.